This past Tuesday, I finally got the opporunity and motivation to go to Lui Lui Restaurant for their Sushi Tuesday event. The restaurant flies in sushi every Tuesday fresh from Hawaii and has a monopoly on the nonexistent sushi market in Athens, Ohio. Their only competition is at the student food court at Baker Student Center and Kroger.
Most students don't know about Lui Lui as it is sort of off the beaten path--located across from the Smiling Skull Bar on Union Street.
I grew up eating sushi, so I'm extremely picky about the quality of sushi that I eat. I'm not the only one as my roommate Clare Lowry and friend Jaden also experience that insatiable craving for a good spicy tuna roll.
When we arrived, I was immediately blown away by the extremely reasonable prices. The most expensive roll on the menu is under $8, with most prices averaging out at $6.
After careful deliberation, I chose the (smoked salmon rolled with avocado, cream cheese and wasabi)for $5.95 and the (spicy tuna, avocado and cream cheese, tempura fried) for $7.59. Of course, I mentioned the free sushi a la carte deal I told you about before.
Jaden chose the Sunburn Roll and the Shrimp Tempura roll, while Clare chose (spicy tuna and cucumber topped with avocado and almond).
I have to be honest. The Sunburn Roll was a mistake. I was not a fan, to say the least. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of cooked rolls, but it definitely sounded better than it actually was. As for the New York Roll, it wasn't anything I'd rave about for days--but it helped cure my sushi craving.
Clare, on the other hand, said "it was the best sushi I've ever had. I will definitely be coming back." Jaden also seemed equally satisfied with her choices.
As for myself, I'll probably be back when I need a sushi fix--especially for the cheap prices. However, I don't think I'll be a regular.
Until next time,
Mak
I love sushi, and finding it somewhere cheap is always a plus. Your photos really added to this story, and the quotes did as well. I learned so much about Athens by reading your blog. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete